Purpose: To allow people to explore Christian spirituality in a multisensory, move-at-your-own-pace environment of immersion in Christian word, symbol, and practice.
Format: 12 or so stations set up in a large but cozy room.
1. Confession/Release: Write sins or burdens on a plastic card with a wet-erase marker. Drop into a basin of water (symbolizing baptism) at the foot of a cross.
Text: Name your sins and burdens, and make them Christ’s. Release them to him, and allow them to be dealt with by his victory over and through death.
2. Prayer wall: Panels or posters on walls for people to write prayers on, either directly or using post-it notes.
Text: Offer your prayers of thanksgiving, desperation, longing, peace, gratitude. [The prayers themselves serve as the primary text for this installation]
3. Incense/Prayer: Pray silently or in writing while lighting incense.
Text: Rev 8:(3) [The] angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all the saints, on the golden altar before the throne. (4) The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of the saints, went up before God from the angel’s hand.
4. Candles/Pray for someone: Candles to light with a prayer for a loved one.
Text: Light a candle as you remember a loved one in prayer.
5. Communion bread: Participation in the broken body of Christ.
The body of Christ – take and eat. “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.” John 6:35
6. Communion wine: Participating in the blood of Christ with wine or grape juice.
Text: Remember the blood of Christ, poured out for our forgiveness.
7. Reconnection/Healing relationships: Write a letter to someone you are on bad terms with, to start the healing process. Paper, pens, envelopes, stamps, and mailbox available. Also put out Europe postcards
Text: Take the first steps toward healing in a relationship.
8. Discipline/One Thing: Make an effort to work on one thing in your spiritual life. Wallet-sized cards available.
Text: Choose One Thing to focus on in your spiritual life. Write a reminder to yourself.
9. Baptism: Remember your baptism. Bowl of water to dip finger in and make the sign of the cross.
Text: Romans 6:4 “We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”
10. Spiritual Topography: Topo maps to set the mood; graphs to draw a line chart of your spiritual ups and downs.
Text: Chart your spiritual journey’s ups and downs. Pray for the road ahead.