- Malaysia: Government Vows to Review Web Censorship Law After Protest · Global Voices on STOP 114A: INTERNET BLACKOUT DAY
- List of Participants in Internet Blackout Day! « #Stop114A on STOP 114A: INTERNET BLACKOUT DAY
- Join Us and Support Internet Blackout Day « #Stop114A on STOP 114A: INTERNET BLACKOUT DAY
- JB on Imagining My PhD Journey
- Alex Tang on Imagining My PhD Journey
47 Minutes of Silence, Peace for Malaysia
Fraternity through Freedom
To conclude the 47 years of Malaysia and usher in her 48th year with 47 MINUTES OF SILENCE
For the past weeks and in the run-up to the Merdeka and Malaysia Days, more than before, the nation has been bombarded with ethno-religious noises. These range from direct calls to expel some Malaysians, subtle references to other Malaysians and females as “dirty”, to vulgar attack on ethnicity and faith of fellow Malaysians.
Coinciding with the noises are the attempts to control media and suppress rational discourse on ethno-religious relations. Bloggers are harassed and dissenting views demonized. Critical journalists are sacked.
The contrast of the noisy racists and the muted media is in no way coincidental. Racism and bigotry grow when citizens are not allowed to speak their mind and listen to each other.
It’s time to reclaim our nation, our freedom, the promise that Malaysia was meant to be in 1963.
We need no colonial masters from within to control our public sphere and selectively grant more space for some to vent their racist slurs.
They say we are the silent majority.
So, let’s show them the power of deafening silence.
Let’s all say no to the manipulation of bigotry and media.
Let’s show them our determination for fraternity through freedom.
15th SEPTEMBER, 2010 @ 11.12pm TO 11.59pm
Community Hall / NGO Premises/Associations / Clubs in all major towns
. Kuala Lumpur: Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall Carpark
GROUP ACTIVITY (subject to the preferences of the organisers/participants)
2. WRITE AN ESSAY/POEM based on the theme
3. DRAW/PAINT ON A WHITE PAPER/CLOTH based on the theme
4. READING IN SILENCE
Note: Items (2) and (3) can be used for display/ dissemination through different channels at later stage of campaign
11 September 2010
By Jayanath and Chin Huat